We at the Florida Heart & Lung Institute are proud to collaborate with The Cardiac & Vascular Research Institute on these current and upcoming research programs dedicated to transforming cardiovascular therapies and advancing patient care.
- Charles Klodell is a member of The Cardiac & Vascular Research Institute Foundation.
- Matheen Khuddus is the Director of The Cardiac & Vascular Research Foundation.
- Dr. Mark Tulli and Dr. Ilie Barb are Interventional Cardiologists with The Cardiac & Vascular Institute.
Current and near to start studies
Saranas- Early Bird™ Bleed Monitoring System
an innovative artificial intelligence (AI) device designed for detection of Endovascular Procedure Related Bleeding Events. The device detects changes in the blood vessel’s electrical resistance, monitors blood pooling outside of the vessels, and triggers audible and visual notifications to alert the care team to possible internal bleeding. The results of this program will benefit patients through careful monitoring for arterial access site complications after trans-catheter procedures.
- Currently 2/6 subjects enrolled
- Length of study ends December 2018
Enrolling early 2019
Transcatheter Mitral Valve Replacement with the Medtronic Intrepid™ TMVR System in patients with severe symptomatic mitral regurgitation.
We are 1 of 2 sites selected in the state of Florida to participate in this study, along with an additional 60 global sites. There will be a total of 1380 subjects who will be monitored over the course of 2-5 years.
- Co- Principal Investigators: Charles T Klodell MD and Ilie Barb, MD
- Sub- Investigators: Mark Tulli MD, Thomas Zeyl, MD, and William Brit Smith MD
A Prospective Study on: Evaluation of Liposomal Bupivacaine compared to Usual Care and its Effect on Pain Management for Cardiac Surgery Patients
Liposomal Bupivacaine is currently approved for bariatric, breast, colorectal, gynecological, oral and orthopedic surgery. There will be 300 patients enrolled, monitored over the course of one year.
- Principal Investigator: Charles Klodell MD
- Co Investigator’s: Thomas Zeyl MD, Aubrey Hall, NP and Abigail Antiqua, PharmD, BCCP
Trial designed to Evaluate the Safety and Effectiveness of the LOTUS edge Valve System™ for TAVR in symptomatic subjects who have severe aortic stenosis, considered at intermediate risk for surgical valve replacement including those who have a bicuspid valve. (The aortic valve is seen more often as a tri-leaflet valve as opposed to bi-leaflet valve). Anticipated enrollment will start the 1st quarter in 2019.
TAVR- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Repair
We are currently participating in this trial as one of the 45 sites in the US. A total of 790 subjects are enrolled with a length of study of 5 years.
- Co-Principal Investigator’s: *Mark Tulli MD and Charles Klodell MD
- Sub Investigators: * Ilie Barb MD, Thomas Zeyl MD, and William Brit Smith MD